Every day more business and homeowners are learning about the benefits of roof coatings over roof replacements. Roof coatings are the process of applying a thin layer of protective coating over an existing roofing system. Roof coatings are available in acrylic and polyurethane but the most popular is silicone. The coating can fill in deficiencies, plug leaks, and give the roof several extra years of life of expectancy.
The data backs up the growing popularity of roof replacements with the latest numbers from ReportLinker predicting the global roof coating market will reach $7 billion (USD) by 2027.
Elastomeric roof coatings are one the top segments of the roof coating market and are expected to grow at 4.2% with a value of $2.5 billion by 2027. The United States and China are leading the growth with the U.S. taking up $1.5 billion for itself and an expected 6% growth in China.
In Europe, Germany is leading the charge in roof coating growth while Australia, India, and South Korea lead the Asia-Pacific market projections. No matter where you are in the world, you’re likely to see more roof coatings than replacements over the next decade.
Why are People Choosing Roof Coatings over Replacement?
The market is moving away from full replacement and onto roof coatings for several reasons. Below are the top reasons more people are choosing roof coatings over replacements.
- Cheaper – On average a roof coating cost 40-60% less than the cost of roof replacement while often carrying the same warranties.
- Cleaner – Roof coatings are clean and tidy. You won’t have to worry about dirt, dust, and debris raining down around your property like you would with a roof replacement.
- Easier – Roof coatings require less manpower, less equipment, and less time. It’s not likely you’ll need to shut down your business for a roof coating.
- Versatile – Roof coatings can be installed over metal, rubber roofs, and most other types of commercial roofing.
- No Tear Off – You won’t need to tear off the existing roof. This saves the building owner hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars and the headaches that come with roof removal.
- Great Warranties – Roof coating warranties are surprisingly on par with typical commercial replacement warranties. Depending on materials you might be able to get up to a 25-year warranty.
When are Roof Coatings a Bad Idea?
The only situation where roof coatings are a bad idea is when the roof it would be applied on is failing. Roof coatings give a thin coat of armor to help restore protection in older roofs but cannot turn a compromised roof into something brand new.
Is a Roof Coating Right for You?
To find out if a roof coating is appropriate for you head over to our contact page to get in touch with Roofcorp. We’ll inspect the property, help you decide if it’s a good candidate for roof coating, and talk about the process – all free of charge. Don’t wait for a small leak to become a big problem, call us for a free inspection and quote today.