The roof is one of the most important components when it comes to the style and protection of your house. Roof systems are made up of much more than the shingles that cover it. The roofing system is an entire collection of components that work in conjunction to keep you dry and protected. Roofcorp will take a look at some of the individual components and the importance they have on your roof.
House and Roof Components
- Gutters: System of channels on the eaves or other parts of the roof used to channel and carry off rain water and debris.
- Fascia:Board or trim nailed to end of roof rafters, is often times used to support a gutter system.
- Flashing: materials used to weatherproof or seal edges at certain parts of the roof such as perimeters, valleys, drains and penetrations or any other part of the roof where covering is joined, interrupted or ended. At a chimney for example.
- Ridge: Highest point on roof where two areas of roof intersect. Important to be properly shingled.
- Sheathing: Flat layer onto which underlayment and shingles are attached. Keeps the roof trusses properly spaced and holds roofing system together.
- Shingles: Thin piece of wood, slate, clay or asphalt laid in overlapping rows to cover the roof. Most visual part of the top of house, roof system.
- Soffit: Exposed under surface of an exterior overhanging section of roof such as the eave.
- Starter Strip: Shingle strip applied along eaves at the bottom of the roof, first strip of shingles.
- Underlayment: Asphalt saturated felt or other form of sheet material placed between the roof deck and roof covering. Provides an extra layer of protection from weather and roofs that could be prone to leaks.
- Ventilation– System to control flow of air in and out of the attic or open space of house, roof.
There can be other parts for a house roof depending on the type of house and location. You may get further underlayment to protect against snow, or ridge cap ventilation for extreme temperatures. Talk with your local roofing contractor to make sure you get the best of all these components!